3 balls, 2 strikes, 2 outs, Bottom 9th, bases loaded, Rattlers up by one...Holle's pitch...
Rattlers 3, LumberKings 2
Boxscore | Game Story
- A 1-2-3 bottom of the 9th for a save is boring.
- I wish I would have taken that picture about two seconds later. Holle with the mother of all fist pumps.
- Tyler Thornburg walked a tightrope all night. The leadoff man was aboard in each of the first four innings. I didn’t keep track, but of the 22 batters he faced it seemed like he was below 50% on first pitch strikes.
- That said, when he finally fell off by giving up those two runs in the fourth inning, he went back out and retired the side in order in the 5th.
- It wasn’t pretty (87 pitches/43 strikes never is)…But, Thornburg battled and didn’t give in. I like that.
- The Rattlers offense wasn’t pretty either, but they battled and scraped and clawed and oh, boy…
- 10 Strikeouts for LumberKings starter James Paxton. Yeah. I can see why he was a supplemental first round pick in ’09
- Mike Walker looked like he avoided the tag and scored the run to tie it. But he was called out. It was the Mirror Image of this play in the Marlins-Nationals game tonight…featuring ex Rattler Greg Dobbs. Mirror Image because Walker slid to the infield side of the plate…and he was called out.
- Walker was ejected. He slammed a mighty helmet slam. But, there was something after that and I missed it because the base umpire gave Walker the thumb. The plate umpire was otherwise involved with Matt Erickson and Dusty Rhodes.
- Reggie Keen (@ReGGieReg21) let him know! 3-for-4, stolen base, scored the tying run, another outfield assist. Outstanding!
- Yadiel Rivera need to develop offensively…BUT…My gosh. He crushed the first pitch he saw in the ninth inning with Keen at second and sent it to the base of the centerfield wall for a 395′ triple.
- Nick Shaw falls behind 0-2. Fouls off some pitches, works the count to 3-2, draws the walk. It’s what he does.
- When Stefen Romero bobbled that grounder off the bat of Greg Hopkins – the play that scored the go ahead run, a scene from The Natural was going through my mind. Not the Roy Hobbs homer off the light tower.
- Right before Hobbs hits the homer, a Knight – I think it’s Blevins – is up with two outs. Blevins hits a grounder to third that is bobbled. Cut to Pops Fisher on the bench and he yells out “RUN YOU…” well you get the idea.
- Remember this game from last year? August 23 at Cedar Rapids. The Rattlers were trailing after eight innings and rallied for a win in the top of the ninth inning.
- I am so glad the Rattlers didn’t have to wait another..four years to win a game when trailing after eight…Yes. Remember this from the old blog?
THIS CAN’T BE RIGHT: A quick look back at the record books shows that the last time the Timber Rattlers won a road game when trailing after eight innings was on August 18, 2006. The Rattlers trailed the Dayton Dragons 4-3 heading to the top of the ninth inning at Fifth Third Field. Wisconsin tied the game with a run in the ninth and eventually won the game 7-5 in 14 innings.
- Six game winning streak. That matches the longest winning streak for the Rattlers as an affiliate of the Brewers. The last 6-game winning streak for the Rattlers was May 16-20, 2009.
- In case you haven’t heard, Zach Braddock will not start for the Rattlers on Saturday. Matt Miller steps into his normal spot in the rotation.
- Franklin Romero was the guest on Friday’s pregame show. His 13 game hitting streak came to an end. There is no connection.
- It’s been a long day. Time to get some work done for tomorrow and see if the Rattlers can roll a seven.