Mike Walker cleared the batting eye in center moments before the tarp had to be placed on the field. Coincidence? I think not.
Rattlers 10, Chiefs 2
Boxscore | Game Story
- Tyler Thornburg allowed two walks and five hits in three innings. No runs though. I have him at 10-1/3 straight scoreless innings over three starts.
- Don’t worry, panicky panickers. He was not going back out on the hill after the Rattlers hit for 25 minutes in the top of the fourth and a 64 minute rain delay. He will be back and ready to go for his next start.
- Let’s hear it for Brian Garman! Five scoreless innings out of the bullpen. That does two jobs: Saves the bullpen. Gives Garman a much needed positive outing.
- The Rattlers took the lead in the third inning on three straight two out RBI hits.
- Six of the seven runs scored in the fourth inning also came on two out RBI hits.
- I’m sure this is just coincidence, but the last time the Rattlers scored seven runs in an inning was when Matt Erickson was ejected from a game. Tonight, Dusty Rhodes was ejected and the Rattlers again scored seven runs in an inning.
- The Rattlers went 9-for-18 with runners in scoring position on Tuesday night. Let me consult my calculator……Yes. Pretty good.
- Click on that picture. Look at that batter’s eye in center. It’s 400′ from home plate. Look at how high that thing is. Mike Walker cleared it with his home run in the fourth. I can’t even over-exaggerate how far that home run went.
- Reggie Keen with another outfield assist! It came in the ninth and it came on a smart play by him. The Chiefs had runners at first and second with one out. Single to center and no chance to get the runner at the plate. The runner from first obviously has not received the memo that you DO NOT RUN on the Rattlers outfield and took off for third. The poor guy was out by 20 feet and didn’t even know what hit him. Nine Outfield assists for Keen. He is the Midwest League leader.
- By the way, Cody Hawn took over coaching at first base after Dusty was ejected tonight. He was disappointed they did not give him a stopwatch.
- Today was the third time the Rattlers have started a road trip under the new plan. The plan is to leave a little later from Appleton. Stop to eat when the team arrives in the city they are playing. Head to the ballpark. Play the game. Check into the hotel after the game.
- The Rattlers have won all three games to start those three road trips. Wisconsin was 3-6 when they did things the old way “leave early. check into hotel. eat. leave for ballpark.” last year.
- And to be fair, in the one game that started a road trip on a travel day this year, the Rattlers operated under the old way and won that one, too.
- Things to watch for tomorrow: Charly Bashara as the starter in game one. Jimmy Nelson as the starter in game two. The weather RADAR for Peoria to see in there will be any game.
- I’m just going to point out that the Rattlers are seven games over .500. They haven’t been there since the end of the 2005 season.
- The movie on the bus ride down to Peoria today was Rounders. Is Malkovich’s Teddy KGB blowup at the end ever NOT funny?
- Speaking of hilarious: Teddy KGB soundboard.
- I should put a language warning out there for those last two links.