This was the most interesting thing to happen on Wednesday afternoon. Just for participating both students received five credits at their choice of the University of Kentucky or the University of Louisville.
Bowling Green 8, Wisconsin 6
Boxscore | Game Story
- Stats are weird. The Rattlers went 7-for-22 with runners in scoring position on Wednesday. HOWEVER, only three of those seven hits drove in runs: RBI single by Chris Dennis in the fifth; RBI double by Greg Hopkins in the eighth; and RBI double by Chris Dennis in the eighth
- Jimmy Nelson walked two batters and hit one batter in five innings. Two of those free base runners scored for Bowling Green. Hot Rods starter Enny Romero, who was among the league leaders in walks with 33 in 39 innings coming into the game, walked three batters in five innings. None of those free runners scored for the Rattlers.
- Nelson had a rough day. He had two out and none on in the second inning. Steve Tinoco singled on a 1-2 pitch. The .218-hitting Alejandro Torres walked on a 3-1 pitch. Robi Estrada drilled a 1-0 pitch to the Rattlers bullpen for a 3-0 lead.
- Estrada was 9-for-55 on the season before today. He had as many home runs as there are B’s in his name.
- The third inning was difficult to watch. Bowling Green sent nine men to the plate. Nelson thossed 25 pitches in the inning (compared to 23 while facing six batters in the the second). But, he gave up five hits and hit a batter in the inning.
- Nelson’s velocity was 91-92 (remember, it’s a slow reading here). Movement was good. But, he got stung – stop me if you’ve heard this before – when he fell behind in the count.
- The road trip in miniature: It’s the seventh inning. First, Hawn is thrown out at the plate. But, the Rattlers load the bases with one out and are trailing 7-3. Next two batters strikeout. Then, Bowling Green gets a double, a grounder to move the runner to third, and a wild pitch to get an insurance run.
- Robbie Garvey gets his first MWL home run. A leadoff shot in the top of the ninth. He put it over the Rattlers bullpen and out on to the street.
- The Rattlers are 2-7 on the first nine games of this road trip. This was after that 7-3 homestand.
- This just got tougher for the Rattlers shot at the wild card. Peoria just lost in Lansing in the bottom of the ninth after two walks, a wild pitch, an intentional walk, and a dropped line drive to right. Quad Cities
leads West Michigan 3-0 in the bottom of the ninth won 3-2 at West Michigan AND Cedar Rapids is up won 8-7 at South Bend AND Beloit is leading 6-4 in the ninth won 6-5 at Dayton…
If all of those results hold, Quad Cities becomes is the Wild Card, Peoria will be a game back, the Rattlers will drop to a tie with Cedar Rapids two games behind Quad Cities, and Beloit will only by a game behind Wisconsin and Cedar Rapids. There are 17 games left in the half.
- ADDED: BONUS Bad News:
Burlington scored twice in the top of the eighth and leads Great Lakes 4-3. PLUS, Clinton won, too.
- ADDED: Schadenfreude Update: Great Lakes scored twice in the bottom of the ninth for a 5-4 win.
- Get ‘em tomorrow.