I call this one "Opportunity"
Dragons 8, Rattlers 1
Boxscore | Game story
- Austin Ross had a rough night tonight. Lots of strikes, but lots of hard hit balls and lots of runs.
- Plus, on the stolen base by Billy Hamilton in the second inning, Tyler Roberts throw to second hit Ross. Ouch.
- One of the hits that was not hard hit was in the third. Jaren Matthews hit a ball that bounced in fair territory, turned into foul territory, and spun back into fair territory. All of this happened within 45′ up the third baseline.
- That’s when I figured it wasn’t going to be the Rattlers night.
- Two batters later, a double into the right field corner drives in two more runs for a 7-0 Dayton lead.
- So…It’s 8-0 it’s the seventh inning. Roberts drives in a run with a single. Then, a walk loads the bases with no outs…
- Three strikeouts later and it’s still 8-1.
- A couple of reappearances for the Rattlers today. TJ Mittelstaedt played in a game for the first time since he left that game in Peoria on May 26. Del Howell came out of the bullpen and worked two scoreless innings in his first game since May 10.
- Here is where I would usually put video of Van Zan’s speech in Reign of Fire, but since no one has put it out there yet, here is the main quote I wanted to share: There’s nothing magical about it. They’re made of flesh and blood. You take out their heart you bring down the beast.
- Here is where I admit to you the Reign of Fire is a horrible, terrible movie…that I have watched on several occasions.
- Help me.
- Add Daniel Corcino to the list of opposing pitchers with 10 or more strikeouts in a game against the Timber Rattlers.
- That makes five. Corino with 10 in seven innings tonight. Yordano Ventura (KC) with 10 on May 27; James Paxton (CLN) 10 on May 13; Taijuan Walker (CLN) 11 on May 15; Manuel Soliman (BEL) 11 on May 17 were the others.
- The Rattlers offense has struck out 469 times this season. They are second in the league in that category. Dayton “leads” the league in that category with 487.
- The Bad News: Burlington won tonight. That moves the Rattlers to 9.5 games behind the Bees with 15 games left in the first half.
- The Good News: Quad Cities, Peoria, AND Cedar Rapids all lost tonight. The Rattlers are still in 4th place, but two games behind Quad Cities – the current Wild Card holder, one game behind Peoria, and one game ahead of Cedar Rapids and Beloit.
- The Bad News: The Rattlers have 15 games six at home and nine on the road. AND the six home games are all against Eastern Division teams.
- Tyler Thornburg on the hill on Saturday at Dayton.
- Get ’em tomorrow.
- Closing Note: The Brewers won…RYAN BRAUN!!!!!ELEVENTY!ZOMG!!!! As I said on twitter, I wish my scheduled off days went as well as Ryan Braun’s scheduled off days!