Tyler Thornburg hurls a pitch to the plate on Saturday night in Dayton. Thornburg moves his record to 5-0 in the 13-2 win.
Rattlers 13, @Dragons 2
Boxscore | Game Story
- Where do you want me to start?
- Okay…Thornburg. 6-2/3 innings pitched three walks, seven strikeouts…and WHAT’S THIS?*…two runs?!?!
- I’m kidding. He was probably going to give up another run at some point this season. His scoreless streak ends at 23-2/3 innings.
- *-That WHAT’S THIS? is always better when you say it the way that the narrator from the Adam West Batman TV show said it.
- For you velocity mavens out there, Thornburg was at 94 on the stadium gun into the seventh inning.
- Unofficially, he was at 93 pitches (67 strikes) in the game.
This is the left field bleacher section at Fifth Third Field. Reggie Keen hit a line drive into it for a homer in the third inning.
- If you click on that picture for the bleacher section, you will see the 381′ mark at the far right. Reggie Keen hit a triple to the right of that 381′ marker on the second pitch of the game for a triple. He scored after a misplay off the wall and the Rattlers were up 1-0.
- Then – in the third – ReGGiereg21 with a line shot into the bleachers.
- Still the third – 2-0 Rattlers, none on, two out. Rattlers drew three straight walks. Bringing Tyler Roberts to the plate. A 3-2 breaking ball and he drove it to the right field corner for a three-run double.
- By the way, Roberts has at least one RBI in his last four games: 2 on SUN in KC; 2 on THU in BG, 1 last night, and 4 tonight
- Greg Hopkins hit in the cleanup spot tonight. It was the first time he hit 4th this season. He hit 4th 49 times in Helena in ’10
- Hopkins went 2-for-4 with 2RBI, and three runs scored tonight.
- Hopkins also played second tonight with Nick Shaw starting at short to give Yadiel Rivera the night off.
- That night off lasted until the sixth.
- Mike Walker, who picked up RBI #40 on the season earlier in the game, fouled a ball very hard off his right foot in the fifth. ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Precautionary removal
- Reggie Keen also made an awesome catch on a ball hit deep to center in the sixth. Ran back. Made the catch. Crashed into the wall. Held on to the ball.
Are they leaving because it's 13-1 or because of the weather that is heading for the stadium?
- Yes. Fifth Third Field started to empty out after the 7th inning stretch. Actually, they started to file out in the top of the 7th. I think that the severe weather bearing down on Fifth Third Field.
The wind causes the US flag on the lumber company across the street to stand straight out. Yes. Bad weather coming to the ballpark.
- Yes. The umpires made the right call when they called for the tarp after the top of the 8th.
Tarp on the field.
Four minutes later
Close up on the scoreboard through the rain.