Postgame thoughts (June 7, 2011)
A few highlights:
- Got to keep this one short. Early day tomorrow…again.
- Jimmy Nelson had two out and none on in the fifth inning with the Rattlers down 1-0. A .193 hitter singled. A .176 hitter drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch. Another walk loaded the bases. He still had a chance to get out of the inning when facing Ronny Rodriguez with an 0-2 count. An off-speed pitch was down, but not down enough. Rodriguez singled to left and drove in two runs.
- You know what I hate? I mean besides all those other things. At the top of the list tonight is: Getting messages from MiLB.com asking me to have an opposing starter get in touch with them for a story. Tonight was the third time it’s happened because they wanted to talk to Mike Goodnight. Go read it. I don’t want to read it.
- Also happening tonight for the third time? The Rattlers have had three scheduled off days this season. April 24, May 16, and June 6. Each of those scheduled off days have been followed by home games for the Rattlers. Follow this:
- April 24: Off Day; April 25: 5-0 loss to Quad Cities
- May 16: Off Day; May 17: 7-0 loss to Beloit
- June 6: Off Day; June 7: 9-0 loss to Lake County
- That’s weird. Damn weird.
- All you need to know about the playoff race: Burlington won; Quad Cities won; Peoria lost. Rattlers tied with Peoria two games behind Quad Cities for the Wild Card and 9-1/2 games behind Burlington. Rattlers have 12 games left.
- Jameson Dunn on the hill Wednesday.
- Tyler Thornburg has been bumped up to Thursday.
- Get ’em tomorrow.
- Oh, by the way. The tarp is now on the field.