Postgame Thoughts (July 24, 2011)
- Brooks Hall was so close to getting out of the bottom of the first inning on Sunday.
- It was so similar Bashara’s fifth inning on Saturday night.
First two batters with a double and a single. The single goes to right and the runner holds at third.
Next two batters retired with a strikeout & a popout
Final batter retired on a flyout
First two batters with a double and a single. The single goes to right and the runner holds at third
Next two batters retired with a popout & a strikeout
Runner from first moves to second on a wild pitch for strike three
Single to right, two runs score.
- Another run scores in the first and the Rattlers are down 3-0.
- The Rattlers offense with three hits.
- The Rattlers defense with three double plays
- That included Chad Stang throwing out a runner at the plate for his seventh outfield assist.
- That outfield assist was #37 for the Rattlers outfield this season.
- Seth Lintz, a 2nd round pick of the Brewers in 2008, tossed a scoreless inning with a BB & a K today.
- Interesting Loons Notes: Great Lakes manager John Shoemaker was ejected in the fourth inning.
- It was the first time he’s been ejected this season.
- It was the first time a member of his coaching staff has been ejected this season.
- Six Loons players have been ejected from games this season.
- Let’s turn this into a Post-Induction Thoughts Post:
- Pat Gillick and Roland Hemond were both recognized this weekend at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.
- Both were already in the Appleton Professional Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Hemond was given the Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award.
“I’ve enjoyed every day that i’ve been in the game,” said Hemond, a baseball lifer. “I’ve had some real challenges, but then, when sometimes you get a job and it’s a tough situation, you say, ‘That’s why you got the job.’ They hired you because they think maybe you can do something about it.”
- Gillick pitched for the Fox Cities Foxes in 1960 and went 11-2 with a 1.91ERA before moving on up in the Baltimore Orioles system. He was also the general manager of the Seattle Mariners from 2000-2003 when the Rattlers were the Midwest League affiliate of the M’s.
- Here is a link to the video of Pat Gillick’s remarks in Cooperstown on Sunday afternoon.
- Congratulations to Roland and Pat.
- As a side, if you have never been to the Hall in Cooperstown…What the HECK are you waiting for? Just go. Doubleday Field. The Hall with the plaques. TJ’s Place. The memorabilia. Dear DiMaggio…I want to go back…Because I have a better camera now!
- Get ‘em tomorrow.