Earmuffs! Can you earmuff it for me! All ya gotta do is say "Earmuffs"!
Rattlers 6, Loons 3
Boxscore | Game Story
- The Rattlers took two of three at Lansing and are 3-3 on the first six games of this trip.
- Matt Miller scattered six hits and four walks and got some top notch defense tonight to even his record at 4-4.
- That makes three straight quality starts for the right-hander.
- By the way…Defense today…Let’s list the plays:
- Brownstein robs Pericht of a leadoff single in the fourth with a great play catch & throw up the middle
- Later in the inning, Miller gets a dribbler up the first base line, crosses into foul territory & throws out Landry
- Keen throws out Akins at third for a key out in the seventh inning.
- Mittelstaedt’s diving catch with runners at second and third to end the inning with the Rattlers up 6-2
- The 6-4-3 double play to end the game
- Not technically a defensive play, but also toss in Miller’s strikeout of Jacobs in the bottom of the first inning.
- I’m sure I am missing one or two others.
- Keen 3-for-4 with a stolen base, an RBI, a run scored, and that aforementioned outfield assist
- Almost saw a triple play tonight. But, it was overturned. Probably the right call.
- Brownstein was ruled safe on a play at first. But, it was overturned. Probably the right call.
- But, I’ve seen more calls overturned this season than ever before.
- The frustration of the Loons was what led to the picture above tonight.
- First to go was catcher Michael Pericht. Chad Stang scored on a double by Joey Paciorek in the sixth. The ball got caught up in Stang as Paciorek headed to third. Pericht pushed Stang out of the way to get to the ball…and got ejected…
- Then in the seventh, Bobby Coyle was ruled to have gone around on a check swing. He must have said something….because there he went…and then he went off because it was earmuff time for the kid in the front row.
- Of all the pictures I’ve taken this season, that one may be my favorite. I wish I could have zoomed in without the railing getting in the way.
- Mom and the kids collected dad on the way out and I think that there may be an email waiting in a few Loons front office inboxes in the morning.
- Since Great Lakes joined the Midwest League in 2007, the Rattlers have been to Dow Diamond four times.
- Yep, this is the first time the Rattlers have won a series in Great Lakes.
- The team is on the bus heading for Clinton right now. On the road for 45 minutes. Somewhere around six hours left.
- I’d think about live blogging this journey, but I doubt it would be interesting.
- Keep your eye on @CMehring to follow the progress and where we may stop and when we get into Clinton.
- Off day on Tuesday with a day to kill in Clinton. I’ll update the blog in the afternoon after taking a long walk around town.
- Plus, there are a few more announcements at TimberRattlers.com.
- Kind of like today: Rattlers games on MiLB.TV and Free Flix Night at Time Warner Cable Field on 7/29.