Nine after nine – April 19, 2012
I felt it was time to start up with the postgame post. But, I need to keep it short or I will never find time to reboot….I mean sleep. So, I thought I would be good with nine things to match the number innings in a regulation game.
- Hand operated scoreboards are cool.
- The Rattlers have outscored their opponents 21-3 in the first inning this season.
- Brandon Macias had four RBI in the first two innings
- Macias in the last three games: 6-for-10, 4 runs, 5RBI
- The Rattlers had seven hits in the first two innings, they had two hits the rest of the game
- According the scoreboard, David Goforth hit 98 – on a pitch to the backstop, but still – one time, 97 a couple of times, 96 a few more times, and 94 to 95 several more times. His one big mistake was a hanging breaking ball to Curt Casali in the third inning that was hit for a homer.
- If you are looking at the game log you will see this play right after the home run:
Colin Kaline called out on strikes, catcher Tyler Roberts to third baseman Brandon Macias to first baseman Gregory Hopkins.
If I understood Tyler Roberts on the elevator, he dropped the ball and thought strike three was a ball. Then, he heard the umpire call strike three – by reflex – he fired the ball down to third. Fortunately, Macias fired the ball to first in time to get Kaline for the K, 2-5-3 putout.
That really happened.
- Defense has been very good for the Rattlers of late. Yadiel Rivera ranged behind second to rob Casali of an RBI single in the sixth, John Dishon made a diving catch to save a run in the seventh, and Greg Hopkins snared a liner and turned it into a game ending double play in the ninth. Team fielding percentage is up to .977, they have committed 12 errors and turned 13 double plays in 14 games.
- Max Walla is 0-for-8 in his three games with the Rattlers. But, he has drawn five walks and scored three runs.
It’s been a long day that started with a 5am arrival at Time Warner Cable Field, a stop at the beautiful Hinsdale Oasis, and a cool, rainy evening in Grand Rapids that wrapped up with an arrival at the hotel at 11pm local time.
Sleep well. Work hard in the morning.