Kane County 3
Boxscore | Game Story
Leaping into a first place tie.
- Carlos Gomez finished his minor league rehabilitation assignment tonight. He was 1-for-3 with a walk and came out when the Rattlers took the field for the top of the seventh inning. He made a play tonight that was particularly major league. A fly ball was hit deep to right-center with two outs in the top of the third. My thoughts went to, “Wow, this might be a triple.” Then, my thoughts went to, “He doesn’t even look like he’s running hard.” Then, I said, “And Gomez makes the catch for the final out.”
- Watch the highlights below for the home run by Jason Rogers and you will see what I am talking about when I say he is getting into hitters counts. That was a 2-1 pitch…In fact, he was in hitters counts all night. It seems like he has been at the plate with a 2-1 count all month. In 17 games in May, Rogers has a slash line of .344/.411/.563 with13 runs scored and 18 RBI. That is some good hitting.
- You’ll never guess who is second on the team in runs scored this month….Yadiel Rivera. Rivera is at a slash line of .263/.295/.526. The imbalance between average & on base percentage and slugging percentage has to do with the fact that the Rattlers shortstop has 15 hits this month and eight of them are for extra bases (3 homers, a triple, and four doubles). People are excited about Rivera’s potential right now. Just imagine what it would be like if he can do a bit more with pitch recognition and stop striking out (17 times – vs. two walks – this month in 57 at bats).
- Not that he hit the homer tonight on a belt-high fastball. He went down and got it and hit it a long way.
- Chad Thompson’s velocity was up – again – and he struck out seven without a walk in four innings tonight. But he gave up three runs with two outs. I just looked this up and I can’t believe the words I am about to write here. All twelve of the runs that Thompson has allowed this season have scored with two outs. Here are the plays: May 9 v. Quad Cities. 2-out RBI double in the first and 2-out two-run homer (after a two out walk) in the fourth. May 14 at Kane County: 2-out, 2-run homer in the second and 2-out grand slam in the third. May 19 vs. Kane County: 2-out RBI double in the first and 2-out, 2-run homer (after a 2-our double) in the fourth. Thompson is what six pitches from not allowing a run in his four outings this season? Baseball is a freaking weird game that can make you crazy.
- How about Mark Williams tonight!? Five innings of hitless relief. He worked around a couple of walks and nailed this one down. Williams extended his scoreless streak to eleven innings and lowered his ERA to 2.50. Plus, Marietta won today! Win tomorrow and it’s a return trip to Grand Chute for the DIII World Series.
- Chadwin Stang had two hits tonight. Plus, Gomez looked like he enjoyed Stang’s diving catch in the sixth inning.
- Carlos George took advantage of the Cougars not realizing time had not been called in the fourth inning. George saw that no one was covering second base when pitcher Kellen Moen had the ball in the center of the diamond. George made a dash to second and wound up on third when Moen threw the ball into center. The play was ruled a double and an E-1 to get George to third base. He scored on Max Walla’s two out single to make the score 5-3. It was something else.
- Odd play in the fifth inning. Rogers at third and Parker Berberet at first. Greg Hopkins sent a grounder to third. Daniel Mateo looked at Rogers to freeze him at third and threw to second. Rogers took off for the plate as soon as the throw left Mateo’s hand. Justin Trapp, the second baseman, got the bag for the force play on Berberet and got taken out as he came off the bag to throw home. Berberet was called out for interference and Rogers was also called out on the play. From my angle it looked like Berberet did not go out of his way to take out Trapp and he still hit the base with his slide. But, that’s not what the umpires saw. Dusty Rhodes disagreed with the umpire’s interpretation and was ejected for the second time this season.