Nine after 9 for June 7, 2012
- Will West with a nice bounce back start. He didn’t get out of the second inning last time he started. Tonight, five scoreless innings. He did have to pitch with seven base runners, but got out of trouble with four strikeouts and some good defense.
- Good defense like the play in the third inning that was the second foul pop 3-1 double play turned by the Rattlers against the LumberKings this season. West alertly covers first base on that play, too.
- The last time the Rattlers did that to Clinton it was May 4 at Clinton. Chad Thompson walked the first batter of the game, and got the next batter to popout foul to first. Thompson covered first base for the easy double play.
- Jason Rogers doesn’t get enough credit for his base running. The play on which he scored was a good example. He was running on the 3-2 pitch and raced to third on the hit to center. He can see him notice that the ball is loose on the infield and take off for the plate to score the run. That was the last offensive highlight of the night.
- Yes, Clinton won for just the sixth time on the road on Thursday night, but the LumberKings are not the same team from the first part of the season. They picked up some new players and some hard throwing pitchers. I know Eddie Menchaca and Tommy Cruz will have them ready to take on the Rattlers Friday and again next week at the start of that last road trip of the first half.
- The key sequence tonight was in the bottom of the seventh. Clinton had just tied the game 1-1 in the top of the inning and Wisconsin had runners at first and second with no outs and Yadiel Rivera was called on to bunt. He popped the ball foul and it was caught by the catcher. John Dishon was next and he lined into a double play. The Rattlers didn’t get another base runner.
- Tommy Toledo with another scoreless inning. He has not allowed an earned run since April 15, a streak of 21-1/3 innings. There should be no wonder as to why he is a Midwest League All-Star.
- The big story of the day was off the field. The Timber Rattlers have announced a major renovation for the 2013 season. A club level with six suites, plus lots more room. Additionally, there will be improvements that you will see: More bathrooms, more room in the concessions and the team store, and a “WOW! factor” for the entrance. There will also be improvements that you probably won’t see: An improved clubhouse for the Rattlers and more office space in the, um, office.
- Links: The Post-Crescent story with video is up here. Fox 11 story is here. NBC26 story is here. Channel 5 story is here. WBAY story is here. Brew Crew Ball has the renovation story and has some quotes about the game here.