River Bandits 4
Timber Rattlers 1
Boxscore | Game Story
- Take a look at the highlights. Those are some nice defensive plays in there.
- You will also notice that both of the triples by Chadwin Stang and Yadiel Rivera went to the opposite field. Both were line drives.
- By the way, Stang now with a three game hitting streak (5-for-10).
- Ben McMahan got robbed twice on Monday night. Luis Mateo speared a line drive up the middle with a back handed catch in the fifth. Virgil Hill made a leaping catch against the centerfield wall in the seventh.
- Mitch Haniger got to show off his arm a little bit on Monday. He hosed Anth0ny Garcia at the plate in the fourth inning. Haniger plays a shallow center and it paid off for him when he came in on the single by David Medina and threw a strike to the plate in the fourth. Haniger also singled in the ninth and scored. He has a three game hitting streak, too.
- Mark Williams was fine through four innings and allowed just one run. But, the back-to-back walks to a pair of .190 hitters in the fifth seemed to throw him off a bit. Then, Matt Williams hit his home run and – the way that Dail Villanueva was pitching on Monday – that was more than enough.
- Nice work by Kevin Shackelford and Stephen Peterson out of the bullpen. They retired the final 13 River Bandits in a row with four strikeouts. Watch for the innings for the relievers to go up a bit in the second half as the number of tandems start to go down. The bullpen will be a key in the second half for the Rattlers.
- If you saw the Rattlers lineup on Monday, you noticed that all of the players were right-handed hitters to face the left-handed Villanueva. Heading into Monday’s game, the nine Rattlers in the lineup were a combined 123-for-418 (.294) against lefties. Heading into Monday’s game, right-handed hitters had an average of .284 against Villanueva. In Monday’s game, Wisconsin managed three hits in 24 at bats against Villanueva. Sometimes I really hate baseball.
- There’s another game tomorrow. That’s what I really love about baseball.