Nine after 9 for June 26, 2012
- Three cheers for Chad Thompson. He was into the low 90s with his fastball and his off-speed stuff was working well. Control was good, too. Eight strikeouts is a new professional high. Really nice outing for him on Tuesday.
- Jacob Barnes with a solid two innings out of the bullpen and he was also in the low 90s. Tonight was his first work in two weeks. He did a nice job to get out of a mini jam after an error and a single with one out in the seventh and ramped up the velocity a bit in the eighth inning.
- Offensively, I’m sure you would like to see more than two runs score after the bases were loaded with no outs and back-to-back four-pitch walks. But, hey…two more first inning runs and the Rattlers have outscored opponents 55-27 in the first inning this season.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, I was saying on the air that Max Walla was due for a big hit. He came through with a grounder through the left side to score Ben McMahan with what turned out to be a pretty important insurance run.
- Chadwin Stang extended his hitting streak to four games and is 6-for-14 during the streak to move his average up over .250 to .252.
- Defense was sweet again for the Rattlers. There are some nice highlights. Make sure to watch them.
- Watch for the double play in the ninth inning. Is the Cardinal way turning off towards right-center? For Cardinal fans who may read this point…that was a joke. Settle down.
- Sometimes you need a little luck and Tommy Toledo was lucky that the line drive Roberto De La Cruz hit to left wasn’t about two feet higher. It hit about two feet from the top of the 16′ high wall for a single…instead of a three-run home run.
- Also, I was surprised that the River Bandits pinch ran Virgil Hill for De La Cruz in the ninth instead of having him pinch hit for Neal Pritchard in the ninth. Pritchard was 0-for-3 with three strikeouts. Hill had hit a walk0ff homer against the Rattlers on June 17. Both were around .200 coming into the game, but Hill may have given them their best shot against Toledo. But, in the end, Toledo finished off the game with a strikeout and the losing streak is over.