Boxscore | Game Story
Find the hot air balloon. Also, click to see some of the distances on the outfield fence. This will be important later in the post.
- No official injury updates from anyone. But, Sweet Hippocrates, this is ridiculous. Greg Hopkins didn’t make the trip. Lance Roenicke was a late scratch in game one of the Cedar Rapids series. Last night Carlos George got hit by a pitch on his throwing hand. Mitch Haniger went out of Thursday’s game in after grounding out to short in the third inning – he didn’t make it to first and limped back to the dugout. Rafael Neda needed some attention after grounding out to end Thursday’s game. And those are just the situations about which I know.
- To the game. Your team leader in home runs is Yadiel Rivera. Get this: He got into a 3-1 count by laying off a couple of pitches outside the zone and cracked a home run to the picnic deck in left field for his ninth of the season. That wall is around 16′ high and 315′ from home plate.
- Rivera would have had two homers in just about any other stadium in the Midwest League. In his next at bat, he hammered a 2-1 pitch to left-center. The ball hit on the warning track and bounced over the wall at the ’407 marker. More of that, please.
- Michael Strong struck out eight in four scoreless innings on Thursday. He also had a 9K performance earlier this season. On the year: 20IP, 14BB, 26K.
- Key play #1: Score is 2-2, two outs, runner at first in the bottom of the second. Kevin Shackelford gets the grounder and then…E-4. Inning continues to Eric Stamets and he singles in a run to make it 3-2.
- Key play #2: Score is 3-3, two outs, runner at second in the bottom of the fourth. Shackelford gets Stamets to send a hard grounder back to the box. But, the ball takes a high bounce. Shackelford leaps and the ball deflects off his glove. Runners at the corners
- Key play #3: With Alex Yarbrough at the plate, Stamets steals second base. The Rattlers defense seemed concerned that the runner at third base could break for the plate and that let Stamets get into the base.
- Key play #4: Yarbrough singles to drive in two runs. Kernels go up 5-3 and that would be your final.
- Max Walla threw out a runner at third as he tried to go from first to third on a one-hop single to right. Not a good idea. That was Walla’s sixth outfield assist and the 25th of the season for the Rattlers. Run at your peril.