Kane County 0
Boxscore | Game Notes
Imperfectly captured aftermath of Yadiel Rivera’s amazing play in the 7th inning. Click to enlarge and look at the third base dugout.
- Chad Pierce‘s last four starts:
7/8 v. KC: 6IP, 6H, 0R, 0ER, BB, 4K, WIN
7/14 @FW: 8IP, 5H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 4K, ND
7/20 v. GL: 7IP, 3H, R, ER, BB, 5K, ND
7/26 @KC: 7IP, 3H, 0R, 0ER, 2BB, 8K, WIN
- Actual quote in the press box after the end of the seventh inning, “I thought that ball was in centerfield.” That ball wasn’t going into center…Not with Yadiel Rivera at shortstop. Here’s the situation. No, wait…
- Here’s the buildup to the situation. The Rattlers were up 1-0 in the seventh and the Cougars had runners at first and second with no outs on a walk and a hit batsman. A bunt moved the runners over to second and third with one out. A shallow fly ball to right – with a nice play by Max Walla on the catch – kept the runners where they were at with two outs.
- Kevin David sends a grounder back through the middle. Rivera makes a diving play behind second. At this point, I like to think that fans in Kane County were thinking, “Oh, shoot. Well, at least the tying run will score.” Rivera gets to his feet and I like to think they were thinking, “No. Way.” Rivera fires a strike to first to retire David and I like to think that there was just stunned silence in the stadium and the only thing that could be heard was the celebrating of the Timber Rattlers in the dugout and the ranting of a crazed radio announcer…
- Oh, wait that last part was exactly what happened.
- Backtracking a bit. The Cougars may have done the Rattlers a favor with that sacrifice bunt in the seventh. Pierce walked the first batter and hit the second batter and brought up Julio Aparicio, a .306 hitter. Aparicio bunted the runners over and that brought up Dean Espy (.227) and David (.222 in three games).
- Michael Strong with five strikeouts – and no walks – over two innings. Last ten games: 21IP, 12H, 2R, 9BB, 30K
- I bring this up when the number is against the Rattlers, so here is what Kane County did with Runners in Scoring Position on Thursday: 0-for-11.
- Brandon Macias was hit by a pitch on Thursday. It was the 18th time it’s happened to him. He tied Luis Tinoco’s franchise single season record for being hit by a pitch
- Extra one tonight and #10 seems to be the place to put it. Chadwin Stang with an infield single in the fifth to extend his hitting streak to ten games. He has tied Greg Hopkins and Rivera for the longest hitting streak by a Rattler this season.