Results tagged ‘ Erickson ’
Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson is managing a combination of Brewers and Mariners minor league players in Arizona during the Advanced Instructional Leagues. He has agreed to send in reports on how the Brewers minor leaguers are playing in those games. I’ll be posting those reports to the blog.
Here is his report on the first game of their season, a 6-0 win (in 7 innings) over a combination of Rangers/Royals prospects*:
- Won 6-0 behind solid pitching and defense today.
- Brewer’s pitchers go a scoreless 4 IP (Jungmann, Arnett, Lintz, Medlen).
- Defensive report:
- Walla had an OF assist throwing out a runner at 2b (9-6).
- Shaw made a nice power feed to 2b for DP with runner stealing on pitch (4-6-3).
- Vucinich made a nice play on a slow roller for 5-3.
- Berberet gunned down a runner attempting to steal 2b with a 1.89
- Offensive report:
- In the 3rd Shaw singled to CF and scored from 1b on a 2 run double.
- Berberet added a 2 out RBI single for 3-0 lead.
- In the 6th, Walla led off with a double, moved to 3b on a good read [on a] 6-3 [groundout], and scored on a balk from the pitcher to make the score 5-0.
- In the 7th, Mittelstaedt hit an RBI single to RF for the 6-0 final.
Rattlers in the boxscore**:
2b Nick Shaw… 1/4. single, run score
LF TJ Mittelstaedt …. 1/2. 2 bbs, rbi single
C Parker Berberet… 1/1. 2 out rbi single
RF Max Walla… 1/4. double, run scored
3b Shea Vucinich… 1/2. bb, double, sb
dh Yadiel Rivera… 0/3.
sp Taylor Jungmann… 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BBs, 1 SO
p Eric Arnett… 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BBS, 1 SO
p Seth Lintz… 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 SO
p Casey Medlen… 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
*-I have turned these into bullet points…for some reason
**-Do not have boxscore. Just like using that term.
That is a quote from Brewers General Manager Doug Melvin about new Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson and it was taken from this Dean VanderPas story in today’s Appleton-Post Crescent.
Erickson gave a brief talk that hit all the high points at the Red Smith Banquet last night. It was warmly received and gave a little bump to the excitement that the Fox Cities has for the upcoming Rattlers season.
After being introduced, he received an impressive ovation from the 1,400 in attendance.“This is a great place to come to work and a great place to play the game,” he said from the podium.Erickson, 35, was the Rattlers hitting coach for the past two seasons. As the first person with local ties to manage the Fox Cities’ Midwest League team since Marion native Bert Thiel headed the Appleton Foxes in the 1970s, he understands that he will have to show his skills when the honeymoon is over.He’s confident that he can do the job just like he has in all of his sports endeavors. It started with a memorable three-sport career at Appleton West and continued in baseball at the University of Arkansas and at the professional level. He also impressed Brewers brass as a hitting coach since they opted to promote him.
Matt predicted that the honeymoon will end the first time he gets the tying run thrown out at the plate with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to lose a game. He was joking…I think.
Go read it all.
In fact go check out all of the Red Smith Banquet coverage at the Post-Crescent today.
If you saved your program from last night’s banquet, look for the Timber Rattlers coupon. That coupon will get you a ticket to Red Smith Night at Time Warner Cable Field when the Rattlers host the West Michigan Whitecaps on Wednesday, July 13.